Sunday, January 31, 2010

Yoga loving again!

This morning it was 13' and freezing cold. I met two of my tri-chicas at a local yoga studio for Hot Yoga. It was awesome. The instructor cranks up the heat to 90' and then gave us a kick ass power yoga class. It definitely warmed me up, for sure. I loved it. There were two women there that were probably in their 60s and they were so inspiring. They were strong, flexible and quite stunning. Yoga is so cool.

I have my cholesterol checked every year because it is a little high. In addition so is my cardiac-serum protein. Both of which indicate some cardiac disease. My naturopath always had a suspicion that my cardiac-serum protein was high because I ran so much. She deduced that since I ran so often I was probably inflammed all over. Well I told her this would be a good test to see if her conclusion was right. I haven't ran further than three miles at a time since Oct. I have been working out at the gym, swimming and practicing yoga-all low-impact activities. Well....the verdict is in.....

My cardiac-serum protein was the lowest it has ever been! Actually all my numbers were better this round of blood tests. I think I will have to agree that long distance running really is not that good for us. This same naturopath told me to compare a sprinters body with a long distance runners body and tell her which I think looks healthier. Hands down, the sprinter is a lot healthier looking. Their muscles are toned and they appear to be at a more natural weight as well.

Too bad I am addicted to long distance running! I figure I will work out smart in the winter and go crazy running the other three seasons. Actually I work out smart in the summer too while I train for triathlons. Ok two out of four seasons aint too shabby :)

1 comment:

Wes said...

90 degrees isn't HOT! LOL... well, I guess it could be... Great news on the tests! Running is healthy period. I guarantee those sprinters are doing cross training...