Tuesday, September 05, 2006

New Haven Road Race 2006


New Haven Road Race rocks! It was a beautiful early Fall day with about mid-70s breezy weather conditions. My kids, sister and I left the house at 6:00am to arrive in New Haven at 7:30. We arrived with plenty of time to pick up my t-shirt, number, chip and still run it to the car and get back to go to the bathroom twice. After the potty breaks, I sent my sister and kids off to play on the inflatiable bouncy things while I met up with some of my favorite bloggers. I got to see what Chocolate Jon looks like and had nice conversations with Jank, Michelle, Dianna, April Anne and David. (Check out www.runningchick.blogspot .com for the links Sorry!) It was very cool to meet my cyber running enthusiasts and recommend RBF meet ups for any of you fellow bloggers.

The race itself was very satisfying, as I said I love running the New Haven Road Race. There is wonderful support, about 12 great bands, and a cool city route. It is always fun to meet new people on the course as well. Around mile eight, I passed a band playing Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and got to talking to some men about the era that Hendrix played. They were pretty amused when I told them I was born in that era and had a hippies for parents. They wondered how effective hippies were as parents. Not so much, I told them.

Then at around mile nine, you run through a barrio, a Puerto Rican neighborhood. The smells and yells were awesome and I needed them because I was starting to poop out at that point. Mile ten was a hill, but the rest of the race was downhill or flat and that was a good thing. During mile twelve, I was passed by Jank and April Anne. They were very sweet while they passed my dragging ass and Jank even took a picture!!

After the race, I was unable to meet up with my blogging family, because I was watching my human family jump in those jumpy things. I have to admit the jumpy things were awesome. I even went on one of the slides, but it was a bad idea because I got an atomic wedgie from the darn thing.

My time was much better than my times in 2001 or 2002, but I was still the last person in our running group to come in. My running group is getting pretty darn fast I tell ya. I am feeling like I better do some speedwork to be able to fit in!

7 comments:

Wes said...

Very nice race report! I take it it was a half? Excellent work!!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Great to finally meet you, Beth. And you were about 20 yards from where we were sitting after the race. We could have thrown a truffle to you if you had been turned towards us. But I understand the lure of the bouncey castle for the little ones. Worse than the call of the ice cream man. :)

Running Chick said...

we missed out on the cookies and you missed out on the truffles...actually...i have some at home still...jon made me take them with me. if there are any left, i'll bring you one on saturday! you earned it with that great race!

Running Chick said...

we missed out on the cookies and you missed out on the truffles...actually...i have some at home still...jon made me take them with me. if there are any left, i'll bring you one on saturday! you earned it with that great race!

Legs and Wings said...

That's a great photo of you...meantime that poor woman on your right (head downcast...and hopefully not one of your running buds) looks like she's preparing to woof!

Sounds like you had a great time.

Unknown said...

Even if you were the last one in your running group it sounds like a great race and a great rbf meet up as well. Nice pic! It looks like you were having fun.

David said...

Beth, I was glad to meet you and run that first mile. I think seeing 8 RBFers in one place is pretty awesome.
We missed your cookies but Jon's truffles were nothing to sneeze at either.
See you next time.